Jack Young Centre (JYC)
- 2 Orange Avenue Salisbury South Australia 5108 (view map)
- Seniors Centre, Community Centre
- (08) 8406 8525
- Opening Hours
Closed on Public Holidays. End of year dates: last day Wednesday 21 December 2022 and reopen Wednesday 4 January 2023.
Monday8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Tuesday8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Wednesday8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Friday8:30 am - 5:00 pm
The Jack Young Centre (JYC) is a friendly, welcoming and accessible leisure centre for older people. The purpose built facilities are fully accessible, offering a unique blend of programs, activities and services.
The Jack Young Centre is two minute walk from the Salisbury Interchange. A number of bus and train routes service this Interchange. A car park is available for Members' use. For details about public transport services and current timetables please visit the Adelaide Metro website.
Many of the social support groups have recommenced at the Jack Young Centre and the Para Hills Seniors Centre.
A list of the groups and programs can be found in the weekly program below. Don't hesitate to give us a call if you would like to know more about any particular group or program.
Meals at the Jack Young Centre
Jack's Café at the Jack Young Centre has a positive reputation for providing freshly prepared nutritious, affordable and tasty meals including traditional home-cooked style meals, soups and desserts.
We are currently providing the following, which is in response to the COVID-19 situation.
- Dine-in, take-away and frozen meals are available for current Salisbury Senior members or any senior residents or people with disabilities Monday to Friday. See details below.
Our dine-in service is available from 12 noon to 1 pm daily Monday to Friday.
Please pre-order and pre-book between 8.30 am to 11.30 am daily by calling 8406 8525.
View the dine-in menu here or check out the monthly specials below.
Fresh meals are available Monday to Friday for take-away and can be pre-ordered using the dine-in menu or specials below.
|Mar 6 to 10||Mar 14 to 17 (Monday public holiday)||Mar 20 to 24 (Harmony Week)||Mar 27 to 31|
|Soup - Mushroom||Soup - Pumpkin||Soup - Long Short||Soup - Pea & Ham|
|Chicken Patties with leek sauce||Chunky Steak Pie**||Mongolian Beef (served with rice)||Meatloaf|
|Beef Parmigiana||Hamsteak & Pineapple**||Chicken Korma (served with rice)||Sweet, Sticky, Spicy Chicken (served with rice)|
|Roast - Pork||Roast - Beef||Roast - Lamb||Roast - Rolled Roast Chicken|
|* Meal is not suitable for freezing. ** Meal is not available in small size.|
For same-day pickup, please call the Jack Young Centre before 11.30am and collect between 12.30pm to 2pm.
- When collecting, please observe social distancing and good hygiene guidelines.
- For all orders or enquiries call 8406 8525.
Frozen meals (Monday to Friday)
- Drop-in and select frozen meals between 10am and 2pm on weekdays
* Salisbury Senior Members or vulnerable members of the public aged 65+ or a representative can drop in to pick up and choose from a wide variety of frozen meals.
* Please bring a membership card or Seniors Card to assist us with identification.
- Pre-order up to a weeks’ worth of frozen meals by calling JYC. These can be collected later in the week during pick up times or you can call the centre to organise an alternate pick up time.
- When collecting meals, please observe social distancing and good hygiene guidelines.
- For all pre-orders or enquiries call 8406 8525.
Cost and payments
- Cost of all dine-in meals are $8 for subsidised customers with My Aged Care referral and $10 for non-subsidised. Soups and desserts are $3.50 each. 50c container fee applies for take-away.
- If possible, please bring the correct change or use our credit card tap and go service.
Seniors Centre Membership gives you access to three senior centres.
- Jack Young Centre - 2 Orange Ave, Salisbury
- Para Hills Seniors Centre located within Para Hills Community Hub, 22 Wilkinson Rd, Para Hills
- Pine Lakes Centre - 16 Homestead Place, Parafield Gardens.
You can visit the centre and try the activities before deciding to become a member. First session is free.
Any members aged 65+ and registered with My Aged Care can access subsidised meals and activities.
The membership period aligns with the financial year July - June each year and a yearly membership fee ($12) applies to those who attend programs at the centre.
Participants also pay a weekly participant fee of $3-$10 depending on the program.
The centre is set-up for independent people. People requiring support / assistance to attend a group or use the facilities of the centre will need to be supported by a carer or support person. Agency workers referring a client to the centre need to liaise with the Coordinator Wellbeing Programs on 8406 8251 as early as possible as there is a set referral process.
People who are not members can still access fresh take-away meals and/or frozen meals at Jack's Café.
Other services for seniors
Staff can also give you information about help at home through Home Assist and the Housing Support Program.
Home Assist services have been extended to assist all senior residents with essential services during the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Please contact Home Assist on 8406 8225 to discuss your requirements.
For more information, go to the Home Assist page or the Housing Support Program page.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Update
JYC continues to maintain COVID safe protocols such as the use of hand sanitiser, 1.5 distancing, limited numbers in groups and the dining room, high levels of cleaning, use of masks where required, and a COVID Marshall.
You can find out more by emailing us or calling (08) 8406 8525.
View updates on the City of Salisbury’s response to COVID-19.