Skip to main content


Services Pets Animals Dogs FAQ


What is Wandering at Large?

A dog is considered to be 'wandering at large' if the dog is in a public or private place without the consent of the occupier and nobody is exercising effective control of the dog.

How Do I Report a Dog Wandering at Large?

The information that you will need to provide to Council includes the following:

  • Breed of dog
  • Colour of dog
  • If the dog has a collar or ID
  • The dog's current location

Dog Pickup

If you find a wandering dog and would like Council to collect it, Council would prefer the dog to be restrained as it could wander off again. If you are not keen to do so due to the dog's nature, please make sure that you advise the officer of a possible "problem" dog. Either way, notify the officer of how the dog has been detained.

The officer will attempt to be there within one hour of receiving the call.

What Happens if My Dog is Found to be Wandering at Large?

If your dog is found to be wandering at large, it will be taken to our Research Road Pound. It will be held there for three days and if not collected, it will be taken to an animal shelter for rehoming.

Lost Dogs

To report a lost dog, please contact Community Compliance on 8406 8222 during business hours. We will search our register of dogs that we have in the Research Road Pound and our Lost Dogs Register to match you up with your lost pet.

Please visit the found dogs page if you are looking for your dog.

How Do I Get My Dog from Research Road Pound?

To collect your dog from Research Road Pound, it will be necessary to make an appointment with a Dog Control Officer as an officer is not permanently located at the pound. You will need to take the following to your appointment at the pound:

  • Your driver's licence or other form of identification that shows your current address
  • Correct money

Each dog will be charged a $85 seizure fee as well as $55 per day that the dog is held at the pound. If the dog is also unregistered and over three months of age, it will also be necessary to register the dog before it is released.

Why Does a Dog Bite?

Dogs bite for many different reasons; most commonly it is because of fear or misunderstanding. Never place your dog in a position that may cause it to become anxious. Take your dog to obedience classes and always socialise your dog at an early age. If your dog shows any signs of aggression towards people or animals you should consult your local vet for advice.

What Happens if a Dog is Reported for Attacking?

If a dog attacks or harasses a person or another animal, the owner may be responsible for its actions. Under the provisions of the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995, it is an offence for a dog to attack or harass a person or animal. This is a very serious offence. Dog attacks or harassment can lead to a warning from Council, or an on the spot fine of $315 from Council and, in more serious cases, court action will be taken.

If you are a victim of a dog attack, please report the incident to Council immediately. Upon reporting to Council, the incident will be investigated thoroughly by a Council Officer. Details including the date, time and location of attack as well as a description of the offending dog/owner will be required in order to investigate further. Please keep copies of any medical assistance required as a result of the attack and Council Officers may in some instances take photographic evidence.

The maximum penalty for this type of offence is $2,500. If Council receives a report that a dog has attacked or harassed, the owner will be contacted by a Council Officer. The Officer will issue a caution; they will then ask the owner to answer some questions about the attack. The caution is to ensure that the owner understands their legal rights and should not be seen as intimidating.

The owner must provide their name and address to the officer. Any other questions can be answered at their own discretion. Once the Officer has investigated the incident they will decide on the appropriate course of action to take. In addition to any fine or court action, Council may issue specific orders for the control of the dog. Failure to comply will result in court action being taken.

If any further details or information is required about the above, please contact Community Compliance on 8406 8222 during business hours.

Why Do Councils Issue Dog Expiations?

Local Councils may issue expiation notices for prescribed offences under the Dog and Cat Management Act. These acts and regulations have been written to control dogs within the State of South Australia.

There are a number of fines that can be imposed on a dog owner which include:


Expiation Fee

Wandering at Large


Owning/Keeping Unregistered Dog


Dog in Any Place Without Identification


Unleashed Dog


Dog Attacking Person/Animal/Bird


What is the Expiation Process?

When you are issued with an expiation notice from Council, you are given 28 days to pay the expiation. If payment is not received by the pay by date, a late fee is added to your original amount and a further 14 days is given to pay. Failure to pay by the end of the late fee period will result in the expiation being sent to court. Once your expiation is in court, Council has no jurisdiction over the expiation. You must contact the court to arrange payment or appeal through the court process.

What is the process for Appealing Any Expiations Issued By Community Compliance?

To appeal against any expiation notice issued by Community Compliance you can either write a letter to Council, visit the Council office to lodge a counter appeal or email us.

When appealing, you must include your name and address, the applicable expiation number and the alleged offence committed giving reasons and/or evidence to support your appeal.

Once the appeal has been received, the expiation goes on hold until the appeal committee has investigated your claim. The committee meets fortnightly.

After a decision has been made, a letter is sent to the appellant informing them of the decision.

How can I make Payment for Expiations?

Expiations are payable in person at:

City of Salisbury Offices
34 Church Street
Salisbury SA 5108

Ingle Farm Recreation Centre
Beovich Road
Ingle Farm SA 5098

We will accept payment by cash, cheque, money order, EFTPOS, Visa, Bankcard or Mastercard.

Expiations can be paid by phoning (08) 8406 8222 and quote your credit card details.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties and are unable to pay the full amount by the expiation's pay by date, we urge you to contact the Fines Enforcement and Recovery Officer (Phone 1800 659 538 or visit the website for further information) which may include payment of the amount of the fee(s) in instalments, an extension of time in which to pay or other options by agreement with the Fines Enforcement and Recovery Officer. A fee will apply to enter into an arrangement.

If any further details or information is required about the above, please contact Community Compliance on (08) 8406 8222 during business hours.