Skip to main content


Development Building Business Retail Development Mawson Lakes Cafe

Retail development

Shops are encouraged within designated centre zones and in the case of bulky goods, within designated bulky goods zones. Shops may take a range of forms which may include traditional retailing, bulky goods, restaurants and personal services establishment. In limited instances, shops may be appropriate outside of centre zones and shall be:

  • of a size and type that will not hinder the development, function or viability of any centre zone;
  • compatible with the nature of existing uses in the locality.

Planning consent

An application for planning consent is assessed against the Planning and Design Code.

The Code sets out policies, rules and classifications which may be selected and applied in various parts of the State for the purpose of development assessment.

Building consent

The application for building consent is assessed against the technical requirements of the Building Code of Australia and other relevant standards to ensure compliance with the Building Code of Australia (the structural safety, health and fire protection of the premises). The following information is required as part of the building application:

Builders Indemnity Insurance is required for all work valued $12,000 and above where a Licenced Builder is engaged to carry out the construction work.

Construction Industry Training Board Levy is required for all work valued at more than $40,000.

Interface with sensitive uses

Where a use is located at the interface with a sensitive use such as dwellings, off-site impacts such as noise and operating hours will need to be carefully considered and managed. In most instances, activities and hours of operation will be restricted. Uses that have appreciable off-site impacts may not be appropriate at the Zone interface. The Environmental Protection Authority has published information that will assist in determining if your proposal is appropriate in an interface. Applicants are encouraged to contact Council’s Planning Department at the preliminary planning stage of the proposal to identify if the site is suitable for development and to identify key design issues.

Public notification

Public notification is a process that is required for some performance assessed developments. The process involves notifying owners and occupiers of adjacent land and placing a notice on the land. Any persons may then examine the application and make comments (representations) in respect to the proposal, within a 15 business day period. All representations will be provided to the applicant who may respond in writing to matters raised.

Referrals to government agencies

A relevant authority is required to refer development applications that are prescribed in the overlays or part 9 of the Code to the referral body. This may include however is not limited to, activities with environmental impact, where new access is proposed to arterial roads, development within prescribed airport building heights and advertising signs near signalised intersections. The referral body has between 20-30 days to provide its comments and may direct the relevant authority to impose conditions of approval or refuse a development application.

Application processing times

Council will endeavour to deal with your application as quickly as possible. Applicants are invited to contact Council staff at a preliminary stage should you have specific timeframe targets. If Council is required to consult a government agency or give public notice of your proposal, at least 8-12 weeks should be set aside for approval.

Further information

Please note that the information above is intended as a guide only. For more information, contact the Development Services Department on 8406 8222 or via email

Lodge development application

If you wish to proceed to lodge a development application please go to the SA Planning Portal.

Environmental health requirements

Activities involving the handling or preparation of food is subject to the requirements of the Food Act 2001 and Food Safety Standard 3.2.3. Applicants are encouraged to contact Council’s Environmental Health Team at an early stage to identify relevant food safety requirements. Personal services establishments such as hairdressers, beauty salons and tattoo parlours are also subject to meeting hygiene standards. To find out more, please visit Environmental Health for Business page or contact (08) 8406 8222.

Outdoor dining information

Outdoor dining is encouraged in association with approved restaurants and cafes on Council land but must comply with Council’s Footpath Trading Policy or contact (08) 8406 8222.