Skip to main content


Development Building Business Industrial Construction Steel Frame Factory

Industrial/Commercial development

Industrial and commercial developments are encouraged within employment type zones where there is good access to infrastructure, transport networks and is buffered from sensitive land uses. Industrial and commercial developments may take a range of forms including:

  • Industrial, warehouse, storage, transport uses, consulting room, light industry, motor vehicle related businesses, offices, petrol filling stations, service trade premises, store and warehouses.

A range of other uses may also be appropriate within employment type zones, however will be assessed on their merits according to the nature of the use and its suitability in relation to the site and locality context.

Planning consent

An application for planning consent is assessed against the Planning and Design Code.

The Code sets out policies, rules and classifications which may be selected and applied in various parts of the State for the purpose of development assessment.

Building consent

The application for building consent is assessed against the technical requirements of the Building Code of Australia and other relevant standards to ensure compliance with the Building Code of Australia (the structural safety, health and fire protection of the premises). The following information is required as part of the building application:

Builders Indemnity Insurance is required for all work valued $12,000 and above where a Licenced Builder is engaged to carry out the construction work.

Construction Industry Training Board Levy is required for all work valued at more than $40,000.

Interface with sensitive uses

Where an industrial use is located at the interface with a sensitive use such as dwellings, off-site impacts such as noise and operating hours will need to be carefully considered and managed. In most instances, activities and hours of operation will be restricted. Uses that have appreciable off-site impacts such as noxious industries may not be appropriate at the Zone interface. The Environmental Protection Authority has published information that will assist in determining if your proposal is appropriate in an interface. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Council’s Planning Department at the preliminary planning stage of the proposal to identify if the site is suitable for development and to identify key design issues.

Public notification

Public notification is a process that is required for some performance assessed developments. The process involves notifying owners and occupiers of adjacent land and placing a notice on the land. Any persons may then examine the application and make comments (representations) in respect to the proposal, within a 15 business day period. All representations will be provided to the applicant who may respond in writing to matters raised.

Referrals to Government Agencies

A relevant authority is required to refer development applications that are prescribed in the overlays or part 9 of the Code to the referral body. This may include however is not limited to, activities with environmental impact, where new access is proposed to arterial roads, development within prescribed airport building heights and advertising signs near signalised intersections. The referral body has between 20-30 days to provide its comments and may direct the relevant authority to impose conditions of approval or refuse a development application.

Application processing times

Council will endeavour to deal with your application as quickly as possible. Applicants are invited to contact Council staff at a preliminary stage should they have specific timeframe targets. If Council is required to consult a government agency or give public notice of your proposal, at least 8-12 weeks should be set aside for approval.

Further information

Please note that the information above is intended as a guide only. For more information, contact the Development Services Department on 8406 8222 or email

Lodge Development Application

If you wish to proceed to lodge a development application, please go to the SA Planning Portal.