Skip to main content


Development Building Business Home Based Business

Home Based Business

A home based business is the use of a residential dwelling or outbuildings by a resident on the site to operate a business, which does not require approval from Council if it is operated within certain strict guidelines as a "Home Activity" under the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016.

Home-based activity guidelines

A home activity means the use of a site by a person resident on the site, that does not detrimentally affect the amenity of the locality or any part of the locality, and that does NOT require or involve:

  • assistance by more than one person who is not a resident of the dwelling
  • a floor area greater than 30m2 (whether temporarily or permanently)
  • the imposition on the services provided by any public utility or organisation which has a demand or load greater than that which is ordinarily imposed by other users of the services in the locality
  • the display of goods in a window or about the dwelling or its curtilage (surrounds)
  • the use of a vehicle exceeding three tonne tare in weight
  • the display of an advertising sign greater than 0.2m2 (45cm x 45cm) in size. Signs must be attached to the house, letterbox or front fence. No portable, easel or A-Frames signs are permitted. Signs should only display the business name, nature of business and trading hours.

Types of businesses NOT suitable within a residential zone

Motor vehicle repairs, mechanical repairs, panel beating, spray painting and any other activities involving noisy machinery are not considered to fit into the definition of a home activity (these types of activities are more suited within an industry or commercial type zone). Home based businesses are best suited to those that do not have an impact on the neighbourhood, such as a home office.

Activities involving food

Any activity involving the preparation, storage or transport of food that is intended for sale, or the sale of food, must be undertaken in accordance with the requirements of the Food Act 2001, Food Regulations 2002 and the Food Safety Standards. All persons and businesses undertaking such activities must Notify Council under the requirements of the Food Act.

Please contact Council's Public and Environmental Health Section for further information and advice.

Activities involving hairdressing or skin penetration

Any activity involving hairdressing, ear piercing, waxing or tattooing must be undertaken in accordance with the requirements of the Public and Environmental Health Act and the relevant Codes of Practice developed under that legislation. Please contact Council’s Public and Environmental Health Section for further information and advice.

Additional advice

Further assistance may also be obtained from The Polaris Centre to ensure the success of your venture.