Salisbury City Centre Renewal
The City of Salisbury is driving a large-scale renewal of the Salisbury City Centre. This strategy was first laid out in 2012 and Council has taken a number of strategic steps to progress this important renewal project.
Renewal Strategy and Framework
The Salisbury City Centre Renewal Strategy (2012) established the foundations for revitalisation of the City Centre to support future population and employment growth and establish Salisbury as a vibrant place to live and work. The Salisbury City Centre Urban Design Framework (2016) builds upon this City Centre Renewal Strategy and provides a road map to realise the vision for Salisbury City Centre. Awarded 'Best Planning Ideas - Small and 'Minister's Award' at the 2016 Planning Institute of Australia (SA) Awards, the Framework sets out a range of key objectives across three elements of built form, movement and public realm. This included recommendations of planning policy amendments and infrastructure upgrades, which have been subsequently initiated by Council including the $10m streetscape upgrade.
Salisbury City Centre Vision
- A thriving and walkable City Centre that celebrates its multicultural community
- A well designed, vibrant and mixed-use City Centre with integrated public transport and active streets where people can meet, linger and feel safe
- A City Centre attracting investment and has a mix of successful businesses
Key Objectives of the Renewal Strategy
- Revitalise John Street as an activated 'main street' with an enhanced retail offering and quality urban landscaping
- Unlock medium density residential and mixed use developments to increase activity and population within the City Centre
- Improve the pedestrian experience and introduce shared spaces for low-speed vehicular movement within the City Centre
- Facilitate the Church Street extension to establish a new mixed-use boulevard, and create enhanced vehicular connectivity to the City Centre - supporting future business and employment growth
- Optimise car parking within the Salisbury City Centre including consolidation of at-grade-car parking into centralised multi-deck carpark
The City of Salisbury is continuing its significant transformation of the City Centre through large-scale urban renewal and revitalisation.
Council is continuing its exciting transformation program of the City Centre and inner-city suburbs with close to $100m of significant investment by Council already committed. This includes the new Salisbury Community Hub, new Salisbury Recreation Precinct and supporting sports recreation facilities and high quality streetscaping upgrades.
Salisbury City Centre Renewal Project - Next Stage Commences
Innovative proposals from the private sector to partner with Council and deliver on the vision for the Salisbury City Centre Renewal have been sought.
After the Expression of Interest, a shortlisted group prepared submissions to provide more detailed feasibility and benefits of their proposals.
These submissions are currently being evaluated and further information will be provided as it becomes available.