Salisbury Oval Precinct
The City of Salisbury has an exciting vision to revitalise the Salisbury City Centre to attract more people to live, work, learn, play and invest in our City. This includes breathing new life into the Salisbury Oval Precinct, which is home to a number of thriving sporting and community clubs, and located close to the heart of the City Centre.
The City of Salisbury developed the Salisbury Oval Master Plan to guide development of the area as a safer, more attractive and vibrant place for sport, passive recreation and residential development. It will mean things to do for all ages, new outdoor parks and walking trails, improved access to the Salisbury City Centre and a place where residents and visitors will want to spend time.
Vision for the future
Community feedback from consultation in 2015 helped to create the Draft Master Plan. Then further community feedback was sought in 2016 to finalise the Master Plan which has helped shape a vision for the Salisbury Oval to become:
A high quality integrated precinct that provides a complementary mix of amenities including a premier sporting facility, open spaces, community services and residential areas which are accessible and have strong links to the Salisbury City Centre and surrounding areas.
The Master Plan has four key themes, with a range of specific objectives and actions to support the realisation of the vision for the area:
- open space
- built form
- social and economic
Key elements of the Master Plan include:
- construction of a new change room facility for football and cricket, incorporating new public toilets
- upgrade of the existing grandstand
- demolition of existing public toilets and storage sheds
- retention of a full size AFL and cricket oval
- planning for a future indoor training facility (subject to future funding and business case)
- upgraded playground at the existing site on Brown Terrace
- retention of existing statement gum trees
- demolition of the St Jays Recreation Centre
- further development site
- upgraded footpaths and landscaping of existing streets around the Oval Precinct
- installation of new CCTV security within the area to improve safety
Click here to download the Master Plan.