Skip to main content


Development Development Information Building 1

New Dwellings and Additions

The building of a new house or dwelling addition will require Development Approval from Council. An application is made by submitting a development application form, plans, supporting documents and fees to the Council for assessment.

If you have limited design and building construction knowledge, it is advised that you use the service of professional consultants to aid in the preparation of documentation for some forms of development.

Development approval comprises both planning consent and building consent. The application may be made for both consents together or separately.

Planning consent

An application for planning consent is assessed against the Planning Design Code, which is the policy document used to guide development in an orderly manner. The matters considered include the siting of the house, adequate car parking, its impact on the streetscape and adjoining residences.

Building consent

The application for building consent is assessed against the technical requirements of the Building Code of Australia and other relevant standards to ensure compliance with the Building Code of Australia (the structural safety, health and fire protection of the premises). The following information is required as part of the building application:

Builders Indemnity Insurance is required for all work valued at $12,000 and above where a Licenced Builder is engaged to carry out the construction work.

Construction Industry Training Board Levy is required for all work valued at more than $40,000.


Building work is generally not permitted over easements. If you need to construct a building over an easement approval must be obtained from the authority that has control of the easement. The Certificate of Title will detail which authority has the benefit of the easement.


In some instances, an encumbrance specifying special building requirements may be registered on the Certificate of Title. These requirements may include the use of certain building materials or fencing designs or distances from boundaries.

Further information

Please note that the information above is intended as a guide only. Further clarification of these matters can be obtained from the Development Services on phone: (08) 8406 8222 or email Development Services.

Lodge development application

If you wish to proceed to lodge a development application please go to SA Planning Portal.