Australian National University - Articles detailing the lives of people who were significant in Australian history and who died before 1991. All articles are taken from the print editions published between 1966 and 2007.
Free for all to access
Link Disability Magazine is Australia's leading national cross-disability magazine Featuring opinions and perspectives directly from people with a disability, Link covers a diverse range of topics including news, issues, art, sport, breakthroughs, travel, health, advocacy, products and people in the disability sector. Link started out in 1980 as a small state-based newspaper and has since evolved into a national, professionally designed, glossy, color magazine.
National Library of Australia (NLA) - Learn about Aboriginal culture and browse teacher and student resources
The Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies is a world-renowned research, collections and publishing organisation. The site promotes knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures, traditions, languages and stories, past and present.
Access this freely available database (Resource) of children's books by and about Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander Peoples which includes over 300 Australian children's books suitable for young people from birth through to 12 years of age.
Listing of newspapers from around the world by country, then publication.
IELTS is the 'International English Language Testing System', the world's proven English language test. This site is a self-study IELTS preparation course to help candidates prepare for the IELTS exam. It provides access to free online self-study materials to support IELTS General Training and IELTS Academic test preparation.
A current SA public library card and PIN is all that is required to gain access
Compiled by the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and provides frequently updated information, maps, facts and statistics on countries.
Digital Unite - This site has been providing products and services to support digital skills learning since 1996. They believe learning should be undertaken with pleasure and that it should be as rewarding as it is instructional as well as being appropriate, agile and fun. These values are reflected in the products, services and approaches they develop.
Stay Smart Online - Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy (DBCDE) - provides information for Australian internet users on the simple steps they can take to protect their personal and financial information online.
Technology Explained - Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC) - this initiative aims to dispel the myths around new technologies and devices, and explore the kinds of journeys and possibilities they can and will take us on in an ever-changing, technology driven world.
Driving Theory Practice Tests
These resources can be used to help with driving practice:
- MyLicence - practice theory tests from the SA Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure.
- Aussie-Driver - Free learners' practice tests. This site is a part of Elegant E-Learning, Inc. a company with a proven track record of revolutionising and providing free online resources for English teachers and instructors.
- Kids in Adelaide - Help for parents and carers on what events, activities, playgrounds, cafes & and local businesses are kid friendly.
- Kidspot Things to Do - Family entertainment guide for finding the perfect game, activity or craft.
These resources can be used to support genealogical and history research:
- Ancestry Library Edition is only available on computers within the libraries, or via the library's free WiFi network. Current SA public library card and PIN required to access
- Find My Past is only available in the Local History Room computer at the Len Beadell Library. Current Salisbury library card and PIN required for access
Health and Fitness
- Health Direct - a government funded gateway, providing quality approved health information.
- My Health and Wellbeing - Libraries SA - Your health is the most valuable thing you will ever possess. Whilst your doctor is the best source of diagnosis and treatment advice, there are many websites that provide general health information.
- Product Safety Recalls - Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) - based on publicly available announcements, newspaper advertisements or recall notifications that have been submitted to the Minister for Competition Policy and Consumer Affairs.
- Scam Watch - Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) - Provides information to consumers and small business about how to recognise, avoid and report scams.
Disclaimer: These online resources have been negotiated for use in public libraries or for remote use for public library customers at home. Use of any of our online resources within other institutions, particularly in the classroom or school situation, has not been agreed to. Schools wishing to use these in the classroom situation or on school computers should negotiate and purchase these resources in their own right.