Heart Foundation Walking
Heart Foundation Walking groups recommenced with social distancing rules on 20 June.
While some restrictions are easing, it’s important for everybody, including walkers to keep playing their part to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Remember, everyone participating in a Heart Foundation walk must:
- continue social distancing (keeping 1.5m distance from others)
- stay home if unwell (e.g. fever, cough, runny nose, sore throat etc)
- seek testing for any COVID-19 symptoms and report a positive test result to the HFW team as soon as possible
- practice good hand hygiene and cover coughs and sneezes.
The Heart Foundation encourages walkers to:
- download the COVIDSAFE app and use it at all times
- get the annual flu (influenza) vaccination
- talk to their doctor about whether rejoining the walks at this stage is appropriate for them, particularly if participants are vulnerable. This includes older walkers, and those with chronic health conditions.
Heart Foundation walking is a fun, social and easy way to be active and best of all it’s FREE!
It is Australia’s largest network of community-based walking groups with over 17,000 active members. Groups are led by volunteer walk organisers and we have a number of them located across the City of Salisbury.
Joining or starting a walking group in your area is a great way to get active and meet new people. Every walking group is different - varying in size, duration of walk, level of difficulty and meeting times and places.
Heart Foundation walking groups in Salisbury
To find a suitable Heart Foundation walking group near you and for more information contact the Salisbury Heart Foundation Walking groups and speak to the relevant volunteer Walk Organiser. You can also contact Jack Young Centre (JYC) on 8406 8525 for a list of Heart Foundation walking groups across the City of Salisbury.
For further information click here or call the Local Coordinator, Jim Binder on 8406 8251.
Interested in starting a walking group in your area?
Being a volunteer walk organiser is fun and easy - you only need one other walker to start a group and it should only take 5 minutes on top of the time actually spent walking. You will also receive great support and resources.
Visit the Heart Foundation Walking group registration website for more information.
Take a look at the two National Heart Foundation Walking promotional videos that feature Salisbury groups:
Walkability checklist - check to see how walkable your local community is. Download the flyer.