Skip to main content


Services Vehicles Footpaths Verges Street 01

Residential Vehicle Crossovers

What are vehicle crossovers?

A vehicle crossover consists of a driveway apron and a kerb crossover. A driveway apron is the section of the driveway in front of the property boundary (including any footpath) that you use to get your vehicle from the road to the driveway within your property. A kerb crossover is a section of concrete kerb that is constructed in a manner that allows vehicles to cross the kerb.

Do I need approval to construct or alter a vehicle crossover?

It is a requirement of Section 221 of the Local Government Act 1999 that any alteration of a road, which includes vehicle crossovers, driveway aprons and kerb crossovers, must have approval from Council. This includes new driveways, second driveways, widening of existing driveways and relocation of existing driveways. Section 221 approval is automatically granted where requests for new driveways or alteration to existing driveways are clearly shown on the approved plans associated with an approved Development Application.

Requests which are not associated with an approved Development Application require separate approval from Council and are to be made in writing using the Residential Vehicle Crossover Application Form below or in person from Council. It may take up to 10 business days for your application to be assessed.

Who can do the work?

The approval letter for your vehicle crossover will include Council’s standard details (also available on Council’s website: Standard Civil Details, search SD-12, SD13 and SD14 for detailed design drawings).

Once approval has been granted, any contractor with the appropriate skills can be engaged to undertake the works. Either you or your contractor is required to hold $20million Public Liability Insurance whilst undertaking works within the verge – check with your contractor or home insurance provider prior to commencing work. Alternatively, a request can be made for Council to undertake the work and the current fee for this can be obtained from Council’s Customer Service unit. Applicants should allow up to 4 weeks for works to be completed by Council depending on workloads.