Lake Windemere Revitalisation Project
Improving Lake Windemere Reserve
Over recent times, the City of Salisbury has been undertaking a revitalisation project at Lake Windemere which involves three stages:
- Flood protection works
- Playground relocation and upgrade
- Commencement of a residential project overlooking the park and lake, located on the former Community Centre and car park site (off Hissar Avenue), and a portion of the adjacent reserve area.
Progress to Date
- Council made the decision in 2007 to close the Salisbury North Community Centre.
- A Masterplan for the Lake Windemere and Community Centre Site was developed, involving significant community engagement across 2011 and 2012.
- The former community centre site was demolished and the site cleared ready for future residential development.
- The revocation of the community land classification over part of the Lake Windemere Reserve and Community Centre site to support residential development was completed, informed by further community consultation in February 2013.
- As part of the endorsed Masterplan implementation, Council invested approximately $1 million in 2015 to mitigate flooding and upgrade the lake and surrounds including the following landscape works:
- Native understorey planting beds;
- New irrigated turf and renovation of turf;
- New reserve furniture;
- New neighbourhood playspace and shade structure.
Council has also been investing into the Salisbury North community, including the reserves located within easy walking distance for residents surrounding Lake Windemere, such as:
- Underdown Park (Nangari Road) – upgrade of Salisbury Inter Soccer Club including new car parking facilities and an upgraded playground;
- Perry Street Reserve – Council’s first inclusive playspace;
- Desyllas Drive Reserve – brand new playground at Desyllas Drive Reserve (to be completed in June 2020);
- Salisbury North Oval – construction of a netball court (to be completed in May 2020); and
- New local parks as part of the residential development along the Diment Road corridor.
- Council is now at the stage where on-site investigation works are required as part of the process, so that we have a better understanding of the layout, look and feel of the potential residential development. Accordingly, you may notice some activity on the site in the coming weeks as our engineers and surveyors undertake investigation works.
- Once investigations are completed, outcomes will be reported to Council to help Council make an informed decision on the future residential development opportunities. As part of this phase of the investigations, Council will be considering the types of improvements that can be delivered as part of the project, including some upgrades to the open space area adjacent to the proposed residential site.
- Future updates will be provided in relation to the Lake Windemere project as more information becomes available, including consultation on the proposed residential project as plans are further developed.
Residents can be kept up-to-date on this project through this webpage or through contacting Council’s Strategic Development Projects Division by emailing us here.
If you require the assistance of an interpreter please call 131 450 and quote the following reference number C012474.
- Lake Windemere Revitalisation Project Newsletter (1MB PDF)
- Lake Windemere Revitalisation Project Newsletter June 2012 (3.8MB PDF)
- Lake Windemere Revitalisation Project Newsletter September 2011 (3.9MB PDF)