What verge maintenance services do Council provide?
The strip of Council owned land between the kerb and the property boundary is known as the 'Verge'.
City of Salisbury currently spends over $2.2 million per year on verge maintenance with seven verge cutting cycles to residential and main roads.
Many residents prefer to manage and maintain the Council owned area in front of their residences to a higher standard to the service level provided by the Council.
Refer to the Verge Development by Residents page.
Where residents choose not to or are unable to maintain the verge adjacent to their property, Council will provide basic maintenance services to ensure the verge area does not present an unacceptable risk to the community.
Maintenance services standards include:
- Litter, excessive tree debris & tree branch removal from the verge prior to grass cutting.
- Mechanical edging to ensure no grass encroaches over structures prior to cutting verges.
- Weed control – where broadleaf and proclaimed pest plants have been identified.
- Grass cutting - verges will be slashed to a height of 50mm.
- Grass clippings are not collected and are left on the verge.
- Paths and driveway areas are blown to remove debris after cutting.
- Street sweeping is undertaken generally within 24 to 48 hrs.
- Levelling - the verge surface is even and free of potholes and depressions or mounds.
When is my verge going to be mowed?
Times of operation Monday to Saturday 7am to 6pm
|Verge cutting /Treatment Cycles (Collector & Residential)|
|Cycle No.||Working days||Approximate|
For further detail refer to the Verge Cutting Program
This Program is accurate and monitored, however it is not possible to tell a customer exactly when the verge on their street is going to be mowed due to inclement weather conditions and other operational factors.
Why is there grass left in the gutter?
Grass cutting equipment and the location of verges in proximity to the kerb and gutter results in some grass being deposited in the gutter for collection. This will be swept within 24-48 hrs.
What areas is the City of Salisbury not responsible for?
The City of Salisbury maintains all the verge and median area grass in the City of Salisbury except the following:
- Bridge Road median
- Montague Road median
- Main North Road median
- Salisbury Highway median
- McIntyre Road median
These areas are maintained by Department for Infrastructure and Transport (DIT): 1800 018 216.
What if I don’t want my verge serviced?
Some residents chose to maintain the verge area to a higher standard. Where residents do not wish for Council to service the verge, residents can request to be placed on a ‘No Verge Service” register.
What if my question is not listed here?
- Contact our friendly customer centre staff on 8406 8222.
- Speak to us in person at the Municipal Offices – 34 Church st Salisbury
- Use our online contact form