In recent years graffiti vandalism has become a significant concern. It is estimated that South Australia alone spends around $20 million each year cleaning up various kinds of graffiti – predominantly tags, murals, and slogans.
The City of Salisbury, like other Councils in the metropolitan area, is affected by graffiti vandalism. To effectively combat graffiti, the City of Salisbury has adopted the approach of removing the graffiti as quickly as possible. In the cases of racist, sexist or obscene graffiti, Council is committed to removal within 24 hours.
To help us achieve this goal, the City of Salisbury has:
- Engaged three full time graffiti removal painters.
- Introduced a graffiti removal volunteer team that is fully equipped and trained.
- Trialled alternative graffiti detection systems.
- Provided after hours security services that are vigilant to vandalism including graffiti.
- Offered a reward for information that leads to the prosecution of a graffiti vandal.
Council removes graffiti from its buildings and from the frontages of residential properties.
Foul language, religious or political innuendo is removed as a matter of priority and within 24hours.
General graffiti will be prioritised and removed within a four week time period.
Council are not allowed to remove graffiti on any SA Power Transformer boxes and this is done by SA Power networks.
Council will not remove graffiti from property which is on private land, businesses and shop frontages.
Council will assist private property owners within the City by removing graffiti from their property front boundary fencing or by supplying advice on graffiti removal practises.
Graffiti Removal and Reporting
Requests for removal of graffiti should be referred to the Council's Customer Service Staff;
Phone: (08) 8406 8222
In Person: Salisbury Community Hub, 34 Church Street, Salisbury.
Online: Via eServices
Graffiti vandalism on other property should be referred to the relevant authority, including:
SA Power Networks - 13 12 61 - or contact their web site on SA Power Networks –Maintenance and select Graffiti reporting. Fill in the online form.
- SA Water - (General Enquires) – Ph. 1300 729 283 to report Graffiti on their Buildings and Equipment.
- Adelaide Metro - Call general enquires on 1300 311 108 or Call crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 to report graffiti on Trains, Trams and Buses.
- Telstra Equipment - Call Crime stoppers on 1800 333 000 to report graffiti on phone boxes and equipment.
- Australia Post - Call general Enquires on 13 76 78 or Crime stoppers on 1800 333 000 and report graffiti seen on their property.
If you witness a crime, you need to report it to SAPOL on 131 444.