COVID-19 Small Business Grants
Online applications open on 1 May 2022 and close at 5 pm on 31 May 2022.
The City of Salisbury is committed to provide support and strengthen both our businesses and community life. The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the global economy and locally, it has impacted many businesses. To help some of our smaller businesses navigate these difficult times, Council is offering Small Business Grants to assist where it is most needed.
Purpose of the Grants
It is important that COVID-19 recovery measures provided by local governments complement the stimulus and support measures of the State and Federal Governments. As a Council, we aim to leverage our resources to help ensure the safety, survival and resilience of our small business sector.
The City of Salisbury’s Small Business Grants comprises two small business grants aimed at providing relief to businesses within the City.
The Small Business Grants look to provide financial assistance to eligible businesses affected by COVID- 19.
There are two funding streams available:
- Capital Works Grants - by investing in capital works during this challenging time, businesses can position their operations to strongly benefit from economic recovery.
- Online and e-Commerce Grants - by developing their online and e-commerce capabilities, businesses can operate more effectively in the online environment.
Before applying, we strongly encourage you to contact the Polaris Business & Innovation Centre on 08 8260 8205 or via email to discuss your proposal, or if you need assistance to complete the application.
We only accept applications via the online application below.
To be eligible for funding, applicants must:
- Have an Australian Business Number (ABN).
- Employ fewer than 20 employees (full-time, part-time, casual) at the time of application or be a part of a business partnership.
- Be located within the City of Salisbury.
- Have been in business for more than 12 months.
- Have the appropriate Public Liability Insurance (minimum of $20 million) that covers the activity being undertaken.
- Have the appropriate permits and licenses for business operation.
- Demonstrate how the grant funds will help address the challenges faced by businesses as they continue to deliver services.
- Provide a profit and loss statement from the quarter ending in December 2021 and ending March 2022 which indicates your turnover in your business have fallen by 30%.
- Once-off facilitator/trainer fees or initial insurance for the program/activity are acceptable.
Businesses and conditions that are not eligible for funding
The program will not support:
- Businesses located outside the City of Salisbury
- Political organisations with a political purpose
- Traders associations and owners’ corporations (strata and company owned)
- Branches, franchisees or subsidiaries of larger companies
- Employees of Australian, State and Local government agencies and bodies, foundation or grant making bodies or those that have a primary focus on fundraising
- Retrospective spending
- Payment of ongoing salaries
- Recurrent operational costs (e.g. telephone, electricity, cleaning/maintenance, ongoing Public Liability Insurance).
Elected Members and employees of the City of Salisbury are not eligible to sign or be listed on any grant application.
Only one application per business will be accepted.
You must provide a quote for all items, services, activities or fees that your application is for.
Applicants should be aware of their responsibilities to comply with Federal Government taxation requirements. For information or advice on whether you should be registered for GST or need an ABN, contact the Australian Taxation Office info line on 132 866 or visit their website.
This grant funding process opens on 1 May 2022 and will close on 31 May 2022. All applications will be assessed after the 31 May 2022 deadline and peer-reviewed against the eligibility criteria.
Apply via the application form below.
The total funding pool for grants is $60,000.
It is important to note that only one grant application can be submitted and it is important that businesses choose the grant category that best suits their project or need.
1. Capital works grants
Up to $5,000 (excluding GST) on a matching dollar for dollar basis.
This grant will assist with costs that are associated with the capital works used to produce income, including in any of the following areas:
- equipment, including catering, processing and production equipment
- business fittings, including retail, wholesale and hospitality shop fittings
- physical alterations to business premises, including remodelling of premises.
2. Online and e-commerce grants
Up to $2,500 (excluding GST) with no matching contribution.
This grant will provide financial support to businesses that need help with:
- website design and development
- e-commerce platforms (selling online and receiving payments)
- online content development (webpages, mobile apps, audio and visual media)
- digital marketing and promotion
Assessment of Applications
|Reach the greatest number of individuals and delivers the greatest benefits||30%|
|Supply services to the City of Salisbury’s community||10%|
|Fully detailed, costed and balanced budget, with quotes and realistic pricing||30%|
|Service or activities are ready to begin quickly||10%|
|Procure products and services from local suppliers in the City of Salisbury||10%|
|Assist to differentiate their business from competitors||10%|
Conditions of Funding
Funds provided must be used for the approved grant, with monies spent by the end of the current 2022 calendar year.
Any changes that would result in funding being expended other than as detailed in the application may not be undertaken without written approval from the City of Salisbury.
Applicants must obtain any necessary approvals and meet any costs associated with those approvals.
Where appropriate the applicant will ensure that the project complies with all the relevant acts, codes, standards and applicable legislation.
Appropriate acknowledgement of City of Salisbury’s funding must be given by the recipient in promotional material, announcements and reports of the specific project.
All successful applicants will be required to provide a detailed written report on outcomes of the project funded by Council in the form of an acquittal report document.
Acquittal reports will be required within six weeks from the conclusion of each project, unless otherwise agreed by the City of Salisbury.
The acquittal report must include any relevant receipts and a short report on the effectiveness of the program/event/equipment in achieving the stated outcomes in the application.
Expenditure statements must be signed by the applicant where applicable. Failure to fulfil this requirement will prejudice any future funding applications.
Grants are subject to GST legislation. If your application is successful and your organisation is registered for GST, Council will require a valid tax invoice before the grant can be processed.
After Council receives the signed Conditions of Funding (contract) and any other required documentation, funds will be transferred electronically as soon as possible.
Financial acquittal forms must be completed within six weeks of the activity being completed unless otherwise negotiated.
Applicants must hold the appropriate insurances for the implementation of their grant funded project.
Applications must be completed in full, or they will not be accepted.
Council will not be responsible for any expenses incurred by an applicant in preparing their application, or as a result of an applicant anticipating approval of their application.
The City of Salisbury’s logo may be used on promotional material to acknowledge sponsorship. Applications for logo usage must be submitted to the City of Salisbury’s Marketing Department via email. The logo must not be acquired for use from elsewhere (eg downloaded from the website, scanned/photographed from a document, etc)..
Grants funding is required to be returned to the City of Salisbury in the event that the proposed activity does not occur. In the event that all grant money is not expended, any unspent portion must also be returned to the City of Salisbury.
Grant funding amounts
- Capital Works Grants - maximum of $5,000 excluding GST on matching dollar for dollar basis.
- Online and e-Commerce Grants - maximum of $2,500 excluding GST.
Frequently Asked Questions
Only applications submitted through the online application form will be accepted.
All online applications are to be submitted before 5 pm on Tuesday 31 May 2022.
You will receive an acknowledgement email confirming the submission of your application, however, this does not mean that your grant has been approved.
No, you can submit only one application.
A formal quote is preferred, however if this is not possible/practical, a photograph/screen shot of an online shopping cart which clearly describes the item and cost is acceptable.
No, you can only submit invoices for purchases after the start date of the grants to be approved.
Late applications will not be considered.
The City of Salisbury assists local businesses with access to business advisory services through the Polaris Business and Innovation Centre. Assistance is provided via workshops, individual meetings and mentoring programs. Contact Polaris Centre on 8260 8205 or visit the Polaris Centre to find out more.
The City of Salisbury Grant Finder is a helpful grant sourcing service.