Local Nuisance & Litter Control Act 2016
The Local Nuisance & Litter Control act 2016 came into effect on 1 July 2017 to support and enhance our environment by strengthening local nuisance and litter management services within South Australian communities and to ensure environmental complaints are responded to efficiently.
What is Local Nuisance?
Under the Local Nuisance and Litter Control Act 2016, local nuisance is described as "any adverse impact on the amenity value of an area, which unreasonably interferes with, or is likely to unreasonably interfere with, the enjoyment of that area by people in that area."
Noise, defined generally as unwanted and/or unpleasant sound, can affect people's quality of life, physical and mental health, which is why there is legislation in place to address domestic, commercial, and industrial noise.
Noise is generally accepted as being any sound that a person doesn’t want to hear, with the result that it becomes a nuisance to an individual.
Local noise nuisance can originate from residential, commercial, or industrial sources including:
- Construction or demolition works limited to 7am to 7pm Monday to Saturday
- Fixed machine noise (eg air conditioning, pool pumps etc) allowed between 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday and 9am to 8pm Sunday
- Domestic premises noise other than fixed machinery (eg power tools, mowers, leaf blowers, etc) allowed between 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday and 9am to 8pm Sunday
- Street and vegetation maintenance is limited to 7am to 7pm Monday to Saturday and 9am to 7pm on any Sunday or public holiday
Concerns regarding people noise including noisy parties, loud music, etc should be directed to SA Police on 131 444.
What is NOT considered a noise nuisance?
- People noise including music and voices from domestic premises. Refer to SAPOL on 131 444.
- Noise from vehicles (other than vehicles operating within, entering, or leaving business premises)
- Noise or other nuisance from animals living in their natural habitat.
- Noise or other nuisance from sporting or associated activities at sporting venues.
- Noise associated with a school, kindergarten, childcare center, or place of worship.
Reporting a nuisance
If you are unsuccessful in resolving the issue through conversation, we can support you and take action if necessary.
Call the City of Salisbury on 8406 8222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org