Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Residential Land Division ( 1 into 2 without public road)

Frequently asked questions in relation to residential land division within the City of Salisbury.

Residential Land Division (ie. 1 into 2 without construction of a public road) – Frequently Asked Questions

This information sheet provides answers to commonly asked questions concerning residential land division within the City of Salisbury.

What is the minimum allotment size and minimum frontage width in the Council area

The City of Salisbury has two residential zones.  The majority of the Council area is situated within the Residential Zone.  A small portion of the Council area comprising the hills escarpment is situated in the Residential Hills Zone.  The Development Plan can be viewed via the following link:

In the Residential Hills Zone, the minimum allotment size is 1,200m2, except where the natural ground slope is less than 1:5, in which case the minimum allotment size is 650m2.  The minimum allotment frontage is 15 metres unless the site fronts Coomurra Drive where a 20 metre frontage is required.

The Residential Zone does not contain any quantitative allotment size or allotment frontage standards.  While standards of this kind do not exist, residential land division must

  1. result in allotments suited for their intended purpose,
  2. be compatible with surrounding development,

 and achieve: 

  1. At least one covered parking space and one visitor parking space;
  2. Where the allotment is greater than 250m2, private open space comprising 20% of the site area, of which 10% of the site area should be directly accessible from a living room, have a minimum dimension of 5m and a maximum gradient of 1 in 10;
  3. Where the allotment is less than 250m2, private open space comprising at least 35m2, of which 16m2 should be directly accessible from a living room, have a minimum dimension of 4m and have a maximum gradient of 1 in 10;
  4. Be of sufficient depth, such that the allotments can accommodate dwellings that achieve setbacks consistent with existing development in the locality;
  5. Are graded to enable stormwater to discharge via gravity to the street, or otherwise be provided by rear of allotment drainage.

As a general rule, an allotment of 300m2 having frontage of 8m will be able to accommodate a suitably designed home.  Allotments of less than 300m2 will be considered on their merits. The Applicant may be requested to provide evidence that a house design can work.

What happens if a street tree is affected by my subdivision

Ideally new driveways should avoid the removal of established trees.

Any driveways required to service the new allotments should be identified without impacting on a street tree.  The location of street trees may dictate where new driveways may be located.

If access to the new allotment/s is not possible without removing one or more street trees, Approval will be required for removal of the tree.

Tree removal is subject to Council’s Tree Removal Fee Policy.  Specific criteria are applied when considering tree removal requests such as the landscape value of the tree, the health of the tree, its structure etc.

In a small number of cases, street trees may be unable to be removed, in which case the only viable option may be to design the home to work around the tree or alternatively use a common driveway.

Council will usually remove the tree on your behalf, subject to the relevant fee being paid. 

What happens if a Regulated Tree exists on the site

Development Approval must be obtained in order to undertake ‘tree damaging activity’ to a Regulated Tree.  A Regulated Tree is defined as a tree having a circumference of 2m or greater measured 1 metre above natural ground level. 

It is important that all new allotments are suitable for their intended purpose.  Where a Regulated Tree exists on the land, or upon an adjacent allotment, it is essential that all new allotments can be developed without resulting in tree damaging activity (ie. damage to its roots, canopy etc.).

Where a Regulated Tree may be affected by future construction on the allotment(s), Council staff may request an arborist report, in order to determine an appropriate Tree Protection Zone for the tree, which may dictate the portion of the site that is able to be developed.

In some instances, subdivision may not be possible due to the adverse effect that might result to a Regulated Tree from future building work.

Do I need to remove existing structures from the land as part of the land division

It will usually be a requirement under the Land Division Consent, if Approved, for the site to be cleared of all buildings and structures, prior to granting clearance.

What happens if my land falls toward the rear

In new subdivisions, it is common for rear easements to be established where the allotments fall to the rear to enable rear of allotment drainage.  In some cases, sewerage may also exist within a rear easement. 

In established areas, a rear allotment easement may not exist meaning that the only viable option is to rely upon a double pump system, designed to convey surface water drainage up to the street water table.

This type of design is usually requested and assessed at the dwelling stage.

What happens if an item of street furniture, street infrastructure etc. is affected by my subdivision

 Similar to street trees, Council staff will identify any street infrastructure such as signs, bus stops, side entry pits etc. within the road verge adjacent the subject allotment at the time of assessment.

Where the infrastructure is Council owned, Council will ascertain whether the infrastructure can be relocated. Costs for relocating Council Infrastructure will be determined at the time and are charged to the applicant.

Where the infrastructure is not Council owned, it will usually be the responsibility of the Applicant to contact the owner of the relevant infrastructure in order to ascertain whether relocation can be achieved.

 In some instances relocation may be impractical or costly in which case new driveways must be constructed to avoid any damage to existing infrastructure.

All infrastructure changes must be satisfactorily completed before titles are issued.

What is the minimum driveway width servicing residential allotments in the form of a battleaxe configuration

The driveway handle servicing a single dwelling in a battleaxe configuration should achieve a width of at least 4 metres, inclusive of a landscaping strip of at least 1 metre.  In the case of a driveway handle servicing two or more dwellings, the handle should be 6 metres in width.

Further Information

Please note the information contained in this information sheet is of a general nature only and is prepared for preliminary guidance only.

Further clarification of these matters can be obtained from the Development Services Department on 8406 8222 or email