Cycle Salisbury is the program for you if you want to make a return to cycling, fancy learning to ride a bike for the first time or perhaps need to find out how to fix a flat tyre that has been stopping you from enjoying one of Australia’s favourite past-times?
The City of Salisbury has partnered with Bicycle SA to get the community excited about cycling, whether for the very first time or because you haven’t been in the saddle for years, it doesn’t matter. In a first of its kind for South Australia, the Cycle Salisbury program aims to create a more active and healthy community through cycling.
It’s about promoting cycling to the community and encouraging people to get back on their bikes, riding or learning how to ride! Apart from being a great way to get around, cycling can increase stamina and physical fitness, improve cardiovascular health and contribute to weight loss. It’s also a great social activity to do with the family or a group.
Programs on offer:
A free, easy and fun online tool to help kick start your cycling journey and provide you with your very own ‘Ride Plan’, packed with information and recommendations. In less than 10 minutes, your Ride Plan will outline your cycling strengths and also identify any barriers to cycling and help you to overcome them. Click here to get started today!
To safely plan your journey Click here for the journey planner provided by the Department for Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
Bike Education Programs
- CycleSafe Essentials - This six hour course (two x 2 hour sessions) is a fun and relaxed way to learn key skills, develop confidence on the road and get riding again. This course covers skills for negotiating traffic, road rules and safety. Bikes and helmets are provided for use during the course.
- Ride Ready Course - If your flat tyre and general bike condition is stopping you from enjoying the world on two wheels then this three hour course is the answer to get you out and about again.New dates currently being confirmed.
- Bike Maintenance - If your flat tyre and general bike condition is stopping you from enjoying the world on two wheels then this three hour course is the answer to get you out and about again.New dates currently being confirmed.
Register your interest TODAY in one or more of these 'Cycle Salisbury' courses by ringing the Healthy Communities team 84068251. For course dates see flier
The Re- Gifting Program
This program has come about as a result of the community engagement process of the Cycle Salisbury project. One of the barriers identified through the community engagement phase was that many people in our target group (non fully employed adults) do not own a bike. From this information the Regifiting Program was developed in partnership with the Pooraka Men’s Shed, Bike SA, SAPOL and Council.
Through the regifting program:
The Pooraka Men’s Shed will be provided with tuition and tools (through Bike SA & Bike SA staff) to repair and make sure the bikes are roadworthy
- Bikes will be sourced through SAPOL (Note we are not in a position at present to accept bikes through the general public)
- Re-furbished bikes will be provided to identified families in need by partners Anglicare SA & Families SA.
- Whilst funding permits, recipients will be provided with a bike, helmet, lock and educational cycling sessions
The Rides Leader Program
Through the Cycle Salisbury program we are identifying potential volunteer ride leaders who will be trained by Bike SA to lead local low level social group rides in Salisbury come Spring-time this year on local roads or local trails. If you would like to be considered for a role as a volunteer ride leader or to be notified of group rides when they are ready to be promoted, please contact the Healthy Communities staff on 8406 8251.
Local Cycling Map for Salisbury
and scroll down to free ,aps to download. Select map 4 for Salisbury.
To find out more about Cycle Salisbury and the programs on offer, contact the Healthy Communities team on:
T: 08 8406 8251
E: Jim Binder email@example.com or Cathie Graham on firstname.lastname@example.org