Residential Vehicle Crossovers

What are Vehicle Crossovers?

A vehicle crossover consists of a driveway apron and a kerb crossover. A driveway apron is the section of the driveway in front of the property boundary (including any footpath) that you use to get your vehicle from the road to the driveway within your property. A kerb crossover is a section of concrete kerb that is constructed in a manner that allows vehicles to cross the kerb.


Do I need approval to construct or alter a vehicle crossover?

It is a requirement of Section 221 of the Local Government Act 1999 that any alteration of a road, which includes vehicle crossovers, driveway aprons and kerb crossovers, must have approval from Council. This includes new driveways (including second driveways), widening of existing driveways, or relocation of driveways. 

Applications for construction or alteration of driveway apron or kerb crossover are to be made using the Residential Vehicle Crossover Application Form or in person from Council. 

It may take up to 10 business days for your application to be assessed. 

Are driveways included in my development approval?

Works on public land are generally not specifically included in a development approval for a structure such as a dwelling, carport or garage, so it is important that you submit a Residential Vehicle Crossover application for any works that will alter what currently exists, even if your plans show the proposed alterations. 

Who can do the work?

The approval letter for your vehicle crossover will include Council’s standard details, so once approval has been granted, any contractor with the appropriate skills can be engaged to undertake the works. Alternatively, a request can be made for Council to undertake the work and the current fee for this can be obtained from Council’s Customer Service unit. Applicants should allow approximately 6 to 8 weeks for works to be completed by Council.